Friday, February 8, 2008

The 39 Steps @ The Roundabout

Along the lines of "Dying is easy; comedy is hard," writing about something you despised? Easy. Writing about something you loved? Hard. Because what more needs to be said besides "I loved it" and "you should go see it?"

How's this:

"Y'know," I said as I walked out of The 39 Steps, "I am never going to be able to watch the movie now with a straight face."

"So you've seen the movie?" said a woman behind me. "We never saw the movie and we were wondering how close it was to the original."

"It is totally the original," i said. "Scene for scene almost."

"Except not as funny," said one of the ushers, who has probably seen the show every night since it opened and still has a big grin on her face when she talks about it.

Four actors, two of whom play about 20 characters each. Two hours of charming, silly fun. The best Hitchcock cameo ever.

I loved it. Go see it.

For a behind-the-scenes slideshow, go here.