Tuesday, February 17, 2009

28 Poems - 17

Since I have spread my wings to sweet delight

(Giordano Bruno burned at the stake, February 17, 1600)

Since I have spread my wings to sweet delight,
The more I feel the warm updraft of faith --
My pinions proudly borne upon the bright
And world-contemning wind that blows to God.

The fall of Icarus is like a sign
And not a roadblock in my rising flight --
Knowing that I shall comet to the earth,
What plummet can compare to such pure heights?

I hear my heart's voice in the diving wind:
"This is no place for men of flesh and blood;
Resign yourself, for daring has its dangers."

But I say, why be timid or beware?
Let me burst boldly through the clouds, and when
My death comes, we will kiss, but not as strangers.

-- adapted from Bruno's Heroic Frenzies, 1585

Copyright 2009 Matthew J Wells

No comments: