Thursday, November 19, 2009

"The best bones of all . . . "

. . . and if you're of a certain age, you know exactly how that phrase ends. All together now: " . . . go to Symphony Hall." Followed by insane laughter. It's probably the only thing thing you remember from the source cartoon, except maybe the image of a dinosaur skeleton. Which are the only two things I remembered, until I watched a recently-released 3-DVD set of random Sherlock Holmes movies and discovered that the source cartoon was part of the package. Turns out it's a 1944 Columbia Sherlock Holmes parody entitled "The Case of the Screaming Bishop." What occurs in this seven minutes is about two miles beyond Tex Avery Crazy when it comes to making any sense whatsoever, so it's no wonder I don't remember the whole thing -- my 6-year-old brain probably short-circuited while trying to make sense of it.

THE REAL WORLD: Well THAT answers a lot of questions.
ME: You're just jealous.

For those of you with long memories, and for the rest of you who might want to get a taste of the surreal crap that warped the minds of my generation on Saturday mornings, here it is in all its WTF weirdness:


5 comments:

Patrick Hogan said...

brain officially short-circuited. Must rest now.

Horvendile said...

Welcome to my whirled . . .

Molly said...

head is aching. laughing maniacally. scaring cat.

DidimoChierico said...

Well if that doesn't take me back to the daze of Capt. Kangaroo, Tom Terrific, & Crabby Appleton... Actually, this has been up on YouTube for about 6 months or so, as I found out just now running a search so I could download it to my iPod.

Horvendile said...

I miss Tom Terrific.