Friday, August 25, 2017

Dear Ignorance



You sell me lies you know I want to hear.
You make me buy what I'm unworthy of.
There's nothing in your eyes but uptight fear.
There's nothing in your heart but deep self-love.

You keep a string of dopes who idolize you.
They swear you're honest, fair, and captivating.
Your lovers: mirrors that must glamorize you.
Your friends: the lovelorn you're still titillating.

You told me how to feel and what to do.
I called you on your shit; you cut me dead,
And now you're cold 'cuz I'm not hot for you.
And though you hate me when I use my head,

Life's not what I believe--it's what I learn.
Yours was a bridge that my soul had to burn.


Copyright 2017 Matthew J Wells

1 comment:

Brett Busang said...

Brutally frank, abundantly bitter, savagely wise, and hugely satisfying. ER (Envy rating): 8 out of 10